The Diagnostic Reading Centre is:
- A program in the Peguis Central School which teaches students in Grade 2 - 6 literacy and organizational strategies to enhance classroom learning.
- Seven-week, half-day, Monday through Thursday sesions: students spend the other half days and Fridays in their home classroom.
- An individualized program for students with academic learning needs in ELA instruction.
- An Administrator
- Diagnostic Reading Teacher Leader
- Resource Teachers
- Teaching Assistants
Follow Up Support
- Involves working together with the home/school team for 6-8 weeks folowing exit. (resource teacher, L.A. and administrators)
- May be provided by a teaching assistant at the school.
- May include consultation by the center for appoximately one year.
Students Who Will Benefit Most:
- Display a positive attitude towards learning.
- Demonstrate average to above average ability to learn.
- Function within two years of grade placement in ELA instruction.
- Have parents/guardians who fully suport the Diagnostic Reading Centre program.
- Have consistent attendance.
- Support daily home reading.
- Sign a daily communiciation sheet.
- Support regular attendance.
- Attend parent night and school team meetings.